Tuesday, January 13, 2009

GC: "I was wrong" - Imp FF works with any FF

Ghostcrawler made a third (and probably final) post on this topic and it is the one we wanted to here.

I went ahead and looked at this in game, and I am happy to report that I was wrong. Any Faerie Fire should allow you to get the 3% crit, even if you didn't cast it.

So the tooltip should probably read:

Your Faerie Fire and Feral Faerie Fire spells also increase the chance the target will be hit by spell attacks by 3%, and increase the critical strike chance of your damage spells by 3% on targets afflicted by [anyone's] Faerie Fire or Feral Faerie Fire.

I don't always have the game right in front of me when I am reading forums (most often I am on a painfully topical beach sipping mai tais) so I try not to guess unless I am pretty sure about something. I was pretty sure about this, but I was wrong. It happens. There are like 15,000 spells in the game.
This is exactly what we wanted. A final and definitive statement about Improved Faerie Fire. The bonus here is that by the tone of GC's post there isn't any plan to change it. This is a true win for moonkin.

Now that this is confirmed, Improved Faerie Fire is a core talent of any moonkin raiding build. There is really no other way to get around it. If you have a feral druid in your raid it is a static 3% increase to crit. If you don't have a feral druid in raid someone has to apply the minor armor debuff and Faerie Fire is the best option.

Thank you Ghostcrawler for taking the time to look into this and clearing it up. Any rational player doesn't expect you know everything about the game off the top of your head, and you can't possibly research every question presented on these forums. So, a misunderstandings like this is bound to happen once in a while. As long as it is cleared up I'm fine.

Thanks to Foofy for being a pit bull on this topic. If you hadn't pushed it so hard I'm sure we would still be having this debate for months.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I retract my last comment now. I'll be dropping points off of Dreamstate and picking up IFF.

Nice work

Macbook

Anonymous said...

Gray? A guildmate of mine asked if this talent stacks with the debuff comming from a totem of wrath. That totem debuffs the mobs in range with a 3% extra "to be critted chance" the same as our talent does when someone keeps the debuff up. Seeing these are both related to a debuff and how IFF/Misery work i was wondering to what extend does this work the same?

In other words: Does a moonkin who has this talent gain 6% crit chance on a debuffed mob? 3% from talent and 3% from the totem?

Graylo said...

@ Hemming

I have not seen anything that suggests Imp FF and Totem of Wrath do not stack, and I don't really see a reason why they wouldn't.

Lets look at the example of Moonkin Aura and Elemental Oath. They don't stack but they are both group buffs.

By comparison the Crit portion of Imp FF is not a group buff, and therefore should stack with everything. On top of that it was intended to be a reward for casting FF, and we should get that reward even if there is an elemental shaman.

I can understand the question and have heard it a lot lately, but I don't think we have anything to worry about.