Thursday, January 3, 2008

Educational Materials

I have added a couple of links on the right for two web resources I really like that I don't think a lot of people know about. Here is a review.

WoW Pro
Description: Guides, Guides, and more Guides. The site includes guides for a wide range of topics including, Leveling, Instances, and Gold Making. The guides are written by both Administrators and Users of the site.
Pros: Hands down this site has the best free leveling guides I have seen for both Horde and Alliance. Also has a few really good instance guides for lower level instances.
Cons: Many of the user created guides are horrible. The best leveling guides start at levels 20 or 30. The quality of the lower level guides varies significantly. The site is very slow about updating guides after major changes to the game.
Why I like the site: Lets face it. A majority of the guides available out there either suck or cost money. This site is a nice exception to that rule. The sites administrator Jame has put together some very nice guides that will help you get from fairly low level all the way to 70.
I first picked up the guide after I had wasted a lot of time going from 1 to 30 with a higher then needed play time. These guide greatly increased my leveling time and I used it from 30 to 60. The guides where recently updated to include the leveling changes in Patch 2.3 and they added guides to get you from 60 to 70.
As I said in the cons, the site does include a lot of bad guides. However, most of won't take much of your time and you can be confident that anything with Jame's name on it is a quality guide.


Balance One Stop Shop (WoW Druid Forums)
Description: A ton of basic information on Moonkin and how they should be played in PvE.

Pros: Best compilation of Moonkin related info, and answers most of the basic info on how to play a Moonkin. Cons: Primarily focuses on PvE and Raiding. Has very little info on PvP. Has a little to much math in some spots and not enough in other spots. Can be a little slow to be updated.
Why I like the site: As I look around the web I see a lot people asking moonkin related question and then a lot of other people giving then very bad advice. The two guys that created this post did their home work and provided a resource that answers a majority of the questions I see floating around. I would have like to seen a bit more math to help readers better evaluate their gear upgrades and a little more Talent Build info. Adding PvP info would also be very helpful. However, anyone that reads the post should have a better understanding of how to play their moonkin.

Toon Update:
Graylo - The guild isn't doing any formal raiding until Monday the 7th, so Graylo has been doing a lot of ZA and Kara. Wandering Alliance as a guild has cleared ZA several times but it is difficult given that we don't spend regular raid time to run it. As a result I have not cleared it yet but I did finally get Hex Lord down this week. I am also starting to think that ZA doesn't like me or the casters in my guild. There are three items I want from ZA and none of them will drop. Graylo has also run Kara we didn't clear it for the week yet but I did get to do Moroes and Nightbane. These are the only two bosses that drop anything I want and I was able to pick up the [Brooch of Unquenchable Fury].
It's only a very slight upgrade to [Adornment of Stolen Souls] which I also have, but it brings me very close to the hit cap. I mainly picked it up for the options it provides. I am at a point in raiding where I need to be very close to the hit cap, but I don't want to waste stats by going over the hit cap. So I need options. Items that I can switch in and out to increase and reduce my Spell Hit and Spell crit, depending on the new pieces of gear I get. For example, I hope to get [Wub's Cursed Hexblade] . If I equipped it right now it would put me 10 or 11 over the hit cap. I this case I would probably switch back to the [Adornment of Stolen Souls].
So with this in mind I am trying to pick up as many of the hit and crit items that I have passed on in the past. I would also like the [Talisman of Nightbane] off of Nightbane, the [Brute Cloak of the Ogre-Magi] off of High King Maulgar, and a few other things.

Graypal - I did a few quests with him but he is still only about half way through level 63. As many of you know leveling is just so slow in this range and I just don't have the time to sit down and put 6 or 7 hours into him that leveling would require. I end up doing a lot of it while I wait for a raid to start or something like that. So he is going pretty slow right now.

Grayfel - I used up all of his rested XP and got him to level 19. I am glad to have a soulstone. I just wish I could find some Tin nodes to level up my Mining and Jewelcrafting.

No comments: