- Starsurge now has a 40 yards range, up from 30 yards.
- Entangling Roots now has a 2 sec cast time, up from 1.5 sec.
- Starfall now has a 40 yards range, up from 30 yards.
- Force of Nature now has a 40 yards range, up from 30 yards.
- Solar Beam now has a 40 yards range, up from 30 yards.
- Hurricane base damage increased by 33%.
- Starfall base damage increased by 33%.
- Innervate now regenerate mana equal to 20% of the casting Druid's maximum mana pool, down from 33%.
The other possibility is that Blizzard is trying to avoid the "heroism effect." Blizzard insisted that Heroism was not a mandatory raid buff for a very long time despite the insistence from players that it was. Heroism is such a strong buff that it was hard to agree with Blizzard. In the end, Blizzard came around to the players point of view and gave heroism to Mages as well.
It's possible that Blizzard is worried that Innervate might become the next heroism. They've said many times that they want mana to be more significant in Cataclysm, and only one class provides such a specific mana return tool. Blizzard could be nerfing it in hopes that it won't be seen as mandatory by much of the player base.
- Lunar Shower now increases damage done by your Moonfire by 15/30/45% (Up from 2/4/8%)
- Lunar Guidance no longer increases the radius of your Solar Beam.
No matter why it was nerfed it isn't a big deal for me. At this point I have no plans to pick up the spell in my spec.
- Moonglow now reduces the mana cost of all your damage and healing spells.
- Nature's Majesty now increases the critical strike chance with all spells.
- Furor now increases your maximum mana by 5/10/15% instead of increasing your intellect by 2/4/6%.
- Heart of the Wild no longer increases maximum mana by 5/10/15%, now increases Intellect by 2/4/6%.
My Cataclysm Build:
I hate to say it but it has become obvious that we are fully in the "tweaking" phase of development for Cataclysm. I had hopes that me might see some new talents and some choice in the balance tree, but we have gone 3 or 4 builds without any big changes. Therefore, it's clear that Blizzard is happy with what we have.
If Cataclysm when live today this is the build I would use. It's easier to go over what I'm skipping then picking up because you have to pick up almost everything.
- I'm skipping Owlkin Frenzy because it has traditionally been such a bad talent for PvE, and I don't see any indication of that changing.
- Solar beam also seems to be pretty bad for PvE. I realize it has some situational uses, but there should be enough silences in a raid that it isn't needed from us. Plus, in my opinion it is either Solar Beam or Typhoon, and Typhoon seems more useful.
- Gale Winds is a little tough to lose, but there aren't a whole lot of fights where it is really useful. If I do really need it I can probably pick it up by taking points out of Perseverance or possibly Lunar Shower.
- Furor is now useless in my opinion. The only way I will pick it up now is if moonkin have huge mana issues.
- Some of you may disagree with me putting only one point in Blessing of the Grove. I can understand that since some of you hate to give up any DPS increase, but a 3% increase to the direct damage portion of Moonfire is likely to be very minor. In the end I think something like Perseverance is much more useful.
I guess we do have a little choice because I do end up taking Perseverance over Blessing of the Grove or Gale winds, but it doesn't feel all that significant or meaningful. We also have quite a few passive buffs like Master Shapeshifter, Earth and Moon, and Nature's Majesty.
To use an analogy I feel like Blizzard was a car salesman telling us how fun and exciting it will be to drive the new car compared to our old one. In the end, we are just getting an updated version of the same old car. It has a couple of new features, it looks a little different, but it still only really gets us from point A to point B.