Friday, August 1, 2008

WotLK Release Date Pool

Apparently Mike Morhaime, Blizzard co-founder and CEO, said "we have said that it will be coming out this year," but "I can tell you it's not coming in the July to September quarter." This info is coming from WoWInsider. It is a little unusual to get this type of info since Blizzards standard response to release date questions is "when its ready."

However, the time frame he provided is not a shock at least to me. Any smart business man would want to try and include their product in the holiday shopping season. I also don't think they want to go two years between expansions. It will be very close as it is but It will look much better at a high level to say that BC came out in 2007 and WotLK came out in 2008. This would be a little misleading but everyone knows business and PR people are not above spinning the facts.

Anyway, none of that really matters, but it has prompted some thought in the release date. I think most WoW players like me have put some thought into it and have a guess as to when it will be released. Well, I want to make my guess official and list it in my blog. I encourage my readers (the millions that there are of you) to post your guess in the comments and other bloggers to post it on their bogs or in my comments.

So, lets get down to business. The date I am picking is:

Tuesday 12/02/2008

I have picked this date for a couple of reasons. First, its a Tuesday. Second, I think October is to soon. From what I hear there is to much work to be done to have it out by then. I also kind of think the official release date will be announced at Blizz Con which is in October. Third, I don't think they want it to get lost in a holiday. So I think they will avoid releasing it before Thanksgiving, but I think they want to release it as far away from Christmas as possible to give it some time. With all that in mind 12/02/2008 seems to fit the bill.

There is no prize for guessing the right date other than bragging rights. Also, I don't think I have an exclusive claim on 12/02/2008. If you think that date sounds good feel free to choose it also.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wednesday November 26th. This is the day before Thanksgiving so they can get into the Friday after Thanksgiving oh dear god shopping nightmare lol.

Anonymous said...

November 13th.. the day I fly out for a 2 month holiday..

although it could be worse and be the 12th November.. in which case I will be wanting to go grab the game, and know that my wife will be waiting with a shotgun when I walk through the door.

Loni Huff said...

I'm going with October 7th. And yes, I know it's probably completely unrealistic and wishful thinking. I'm not even sure how I'll make it that long!

Anonymous said...

November 18th, the merchant list seems to b ein the Nov 8th region, and I think they'll miss by a week.

Anonymous said...

I have officially picked November 10th on the podcast (which we repeated this week on ep 15)... :)

Nov 10 is my anniversary, so it is just my luck it will come out the one day i can't play!

Anonymous said...

after reading many articles on wowinsider, there seems to be many problems in beta, so i'm gunna guess december 19th. death knights look so cool though! can't wait...

Anonymous said...

Dec. 19th is too close to Christmas im going with Nov. 5th

Graylo said...

since the date was announced today, this little contest is closed.

Congratulations Gnomeraggedon, You were right on the money. However, it sounds like you win is a little bitter sweet. Have fun on you vacation. WoW will be here when you get back.